Polybutylene Plastic Pipe
BREAK SURVIVAL KIT UPDATED SEP
If your home has a polybutylene (PB) pipe break, first shut-off
main valve below your water meter. For yardline breaks call WSSC
area 301 206-4002 to shut off your yard valve. Call the Consumer
Recovery Center area 800 876-4698 for free replacement of the PB
yardline if your home is less than 10 years old, and free replacement
all inside PB pipe for up to 16 years, under the Cox v Shell class
- This article from the Winter
Hills Newsletter, explains the 10-year and 16-year limits on free PB
replacement. At this time, MH News is not aware of any
that these eligibility periods might be amended, even though PB yard
continue to break more than 10 years after installation.
- New Settlement site www.pbpipe.com
has current infomation about the settlement.
- Even if your PB yard line breaks after
eligibility period, consider taking steps, such as the following, to
your options for possible reimbursement:
- Call or write CPRC
- In re Cox v Shell
PO Box 175
Minneapolis, MN 55440-0175
- Submit the Claim Form they send to you.
- If your claim is declined, you can appeal the decision,
the CPRC Ombudsman.
- Keep good documentation and a dated events log regarding
and repairs; and copies of
claim forms, correspondence, telephone calls, etc.;
pictures and a section of the PB pipe, three feet long if possible.
- Consult your insurance company.
- Consult a lawyer.